Privacy Notice for dawn-chorus.org
2. Responsible person and data protection officer
3. Overview of the processing operations
5. Webformular / project participation
7. Provision of our website and web hosting
9. Plugins and embedded functionalities
10. Other links to third party services / social media
12. Your rights
13. Modification and updating of the data protection declaration
In the following we inform you about the processing of your personal data when using our website www.dawn-chorus.org.
Personal data are all data which can be related to you personally, e.g. name, address, e-mail addresses, use behavior.
2. Controller and data protection officer
Controller according to Art. 4 Sec. 7 EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is
represented by Staatlichen Naturwissenschaftlichen Sammlungen Bayerns
represented by Biotopia – Naturkundemuseum Bayern
Dawn Chorus Project Lead
Projektbüro im Botanischen Institut
Menzinger Str. 67
80638 München / Munich
authorized representatives are:
Prof. Michael John Gorman
You can contact our data protection officer as follows:
3. Overview of the processing of personal data
The following table summarizes the types of data processed and the purposes of their processing, and refers to the data subjects.
Types of data processed
– Contact details (e.g. name, e-mail address)
– Content data (e.g. text entries, photographs, audio files)
– Meta/communication data (e.g. device information, IP addresses)
– usage data (e.g. websites visited, interest in content, access times)
Categories of data subjects
– Website visitor
– Newsletter subscribers
Purposes of processing
– Provision of our website and user-friendliness
– Project implementation and project communication
– Range measurement (e.g. access statistics, recognition of returning visitors)
– Security measures
– Management and response to requests
4. Security measures
SSL encryption (https): To protect your data transmitted via our website, we use SSL encryption. You can recognize such encrypted connections by the prefix https:// in the address line of your browser.
5. Webformular / project participation
If you use our online participation form and upload files, you are transmitting personal data to us. You are free to leave your e-mail address. If you do not do so, all data you provide us with will only be stored in anonymously.
Should you leave your e-mail address, we will use it solely for project-related queries. Our scientific cooperation partners also have access to all data and information submitted to us via the participation form, including your e-mail address. This is done to enable us to carry out our scientific work and to be able to ask you project-related questions. The data will be passed on to the cooperation partners on the basis of our legitimate interest in a successful scientific project or on the basis of your consent. Your contributions will be published anonymously on our homepage.
We delete the data arising in this context after storage is no longer required or restrict processing if there are legal obligations to retain data.
We use so-called “cookies” on our website. Cookies are small text files that contain certain data about your visit (e.g. on our website). These text files are automatically created by your browser and stored on your device for a limited period of time.
If the collection of data by cookies is not based on our legitimate interest in a secure, functional and attractive presentation of our website, we ask for your consent before the cookies are activated.
General notes on revocation and objection (opt-out): You have the possibility at any time to revoke a given consent or to object to the processing of your data by cookie technologies (collectively referred to as “opt-out”). Here you can revoke your consent for the future or change your cookie settings.
We integrate the following functional cookies on the pages of dawn-chorus.org:
|cookie||function||purpose||legal basis||saving time in days||provider|
|pll_languag||Set by WordPress to save userlanguage settings||functional||legitemate interest||365||wordpress.org|
|Borelabs-cookie||Allows that cookies only get activated after user consent||functional||legitemate interest||365||borelabs|
|Allows advanced upload-functionality: Use the DAWN CHORUS form already pre-filled with the previously entered personal data for further database-entries.||functional||legitemate interest||1|
If we use other cookies, you can find out more about them in the texts below.
7. Provision of our website / web hosting
Web Hosting: In order to provide our online service securely and efficiently, we use the services of web hosting providers from whose servers (or servers managed by them) the online service can be accessed.
When using the website for informational purposes only, i.e. when you do not provide us with any information, we only collect the personal data that your browser sends to our server. If you wish to view our website, we collect the following data, which is technically necessary for us to display our website and to ensure its stability and security (legal basis is our legitimate interest in the security and stability of the site. The data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer necessary for the purpose for which they were collected. In the case of the collection of data for the purpose of providing the website, this is the case when the respective session is ended. In the case of storage of data in log files, this happens with the IP anonymized.
Content Delivery Network: We use a Content Delivery Network (CDN). A CDN is a service that allows the content of an online offering, especially large media files such as graphics or program scripts, to be delivered more quickly and securely with the help of regionally distributed servers connected via the Internet. We do this on the basis of our legitimate interest in providing you with a functional and attractive website.
- CDN Amazon Cloudfront: content delivery network (CDN); service provider: Amazon WebServices EMEA SARL, 38 avenue John F. Kennedy, L-1855,Luxembourg, Website: https://aws.amazon.com/de/cloudfront/,Datenschutzerklärung: https://aws.amazon.com/de/privacy/?nc1=f_pr; privacy guarantee on the basis EU Standard Contractual Clauses https://d1.awsstatic.com/legal/aws-gdpr/AWS_GDPR_DPA.pdf
- Coreo (Dawn Chorus database): In order to provide our service securely and efficiently, we use the Coreo platform, a service provided by Natural Apptitude Inc. UK (subprocessor). The UK privacy law is currently in testing for a guarantee according to Art. 45 GDPR. For the time being we included EU Standard Contractual Clauses in our DPA. Coreo Security: https://coreo.io/security/
8. Website analysis
We use analysis services to optimize our web-pages for you. We or our service providers process this data on the basis of your consent. If you have not given your consent in the cookie setting, the corresponding cookies will not be activated.
- Google Analytics: We use google Analytics to create anonymous statistics for us on the use of the site by visitors and users.
The service (Google Analytics) uses “cookies” – text files which are stored on your end device. The information collected by the cookies is usually sent to a Google server in the USA and stored there. We use Google Analytics with IP anonymization. Your IP address will be truncated within the member states of the EU and the European Economic Area and in the other states party to the agreement. Only in individual cases is the IP address initially transmitted unabridged to a Google server in the USA and shortened there. According to Google and our service agreement with Google, the user’s IP address transmitted by the browser is not combined with other data stored by Google.
Opt-out: Europe: If you no longer wish to be covered by Google Analytics, please withdraw your consent to our cookie management tool. Alternatively, you can follow the link to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Settings for the display of advertisements: https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated.
Alternatives are: for Europe: a) https://www.youronlinechoices.eu. b) Canada: https://www.youradchoices.ca/choices. c) USA: https://www.aboutads.info/choices. d) Transnational: https://optout.aboutads.info.
Google Privacy Information: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/https://adssettings.google.de/authenticated (settings about the ads you see)
|gid||Registeres an individual ID, that is used to generate statistic data on how the users uses the website||statistic||constent||1||google tag manager, google|
|_ga||Registeres an individual ID, that is used to generate statistic data on how the users uses the website||statistic||constent||730|
- Google Tag Manager: The Google Tag Manager is a solution with which we can manage so-called website tags via an interface and thus integrate other services into our online offering. The Tag Manager itself (which implements the tags) does not process any personal data of the users.
|_dc_gtm_UA-164232971-1||Wird von Google Tag Manager verwendet, um das Laden eines Google Analytics-Skript-Tags zu steuern.||Statistik||enthält keine personenbezogenen Daten||sessio||google tag manager, google|
9. Plugins and embedded functionalities
We integrate functional and content elements into our website, which are obtained from the servers of the respective providers. These include videos, maps and articles (hereinafter uniformly referred to as “content”).
The integration always presupposes that the third-party providers of these contents process the IP address of the users, as without the IP address they would not be able to send the contents to their browsers. The IP address is therefore required for the display of these contents or functions. Third party providers may also use so-called pixel tags (invisible graphics, also known as “web beacons”) for statistical or marketing purposes. The “pixel tags” can be used to evaluate information such as visitor traffic on the pages of this website. The information can also be stored in cookies on the user’s device. The data will also be processed in the US.
|yt-remote-cast-installed||Saves user settings of the YouTube Video that is being loaded by the user||comfort||consent||session||Youtube-no cookies|
|yt-remote-connected-devices||Saves user settings of the YouTube Video that is being loaded by the user||comfort||consent||session||Youtube-no cookies|
|yt-remote-device-id||Saves user settings of the YouTube Video that is being loaded by the user||comfort||consent||session||Youtube-no cookies|
|yt-remote-fast-check-period||Saves user settings of the YouTube Video that is being loaded by the user||comfort||consent||session||Youtube-no cookies|
|yt-remote-session-app||Saves user settings of the YouTube Video that is being loaded by the user||comfort||consent||session||Youtube-no cookies|
|yt-remote-session-name||Saves user settings of the YouTube Video that is being loaded by the user||comfort||consent||session||Youtube-no cookies|
10. Other general links to external websites / social media
You have the possibility to visit websites of our partners and our social media presences to which the pages of dawn-chorus link. If you use this option, you will be redirected from our website to another website. During this visit numerous other cookies may be set. The responsible person does not take responsibility for cookies once visitors have left the dawn-chorus.org website.
Shariff: To prevent you from being tracked by social media before you leave our website, we use the privacy-safe social-media buttons of “Shariff. “Shariff” was developed to provide more privacy on the web and to replace the usual “Share” buttons of social networks. It is not the user’s browser, but the server on which this online offer is located that connects to the server of the respective social media platforms and queries, for example, the number of Likes. The user remains anonymous.
We send newsletters with updates on the Dawn Chorus Project only with your consent. The purpose of data processing is to keep you informed about the Dawn Chorus Project.
Double-Opt-In procedure: The registration for our newsletter is always done in a so-called Double-Opt-In-Procedure. This means that you will receive an e-mail after registration asking you to confirm your registration. This confirmation is necessary so that nobody can register with foreign e-mail addresses. The newsletter registrations are logged in order to be able to prove the registration process in accordance with the legal requirements. This includes the storage of the registration and confirmation time as well as the IP address and your e-mail address. Changes to your data stored by the shipping service provider are also logged.
Cancellation and limitation of processing: You can cancel our newsletter at any time. To do so, use the unsubscribe link in the newsletter or notify us by e-mail. We may store the unsubscribed e-mail addresses for up to three years on the basis of our legitimate interests before we delete them in order to be able to prove a previously given consent. The processing of this data is limited to the purpose of a possible defence against claims.
The logging of the registration procedure is based on our legitimate interests for the purpose of proving that it has been carried out properly.
Measurement of success: The newsletters contain a so-called “web-beacon”, i.e. a pixel-sized file which is retrieved from our server when the newsletter is opened. Within the scope of this retrieval, meta/communication data (e.g. device information, IP addresses), usage data (e.g. websites visited, interest in content, access times), technical information, such as information about the browser and your system, is collected.
This information is used for the technical improvement of our newsletter based on technical data or target groups and their reading behavior based on their retrieval locations (which can be determined by means of the IP address) or access times. This analysis also includes determining whether the newsletters are opened, when they are opened and which links are clicked. For technical reasons, this information can be assigned to individual newsletter recipients. However, it is neither our intention nor, if used, that of the mailing service provider to observe individual users. Rather, the evaluations serve us to recognize the reading habits of our users and to adapt our content to them or to send different content according to the interests of our users.
The evaluation of the newsletter and the measurement of success are based on your consent. A separate revocation of the performance measurement is unfortunately not possible. In this case, the entire newsletter subscription must be cancelled or objected to.
12. Your rights
As a data subject, you are entitled to various rights under the DSGVO, which result in particular from Articles 15 to 18 and 21 DSGVO:
- Right of objection: You have the right to object at any time, for reasons arising from your particular situation, to the processing of personal data relating to you which is carried out pursuant to Art. 6, paragraph 1, letter e or f FADP; this also applies to profiling based on these provisions. If the personal data concerning you are processed for the purpose of direct marketing, you have the right to object at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you for the purpose of such marketing, including profiling, insofar as it is linked to such direct marketing.
- Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to withdraw any consent given at any time.
- Right of access: You have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not data in question is being processed and to obtain information about such data and to receive further information and a copy of the data in accordance with the law.
- Right of rectification: You have the right to ask for the completion of the data concerning you or the rectification of incorrect data concerning you, in accordance with the law.
- Right to erasure and limitation of processing: You have the right to request that data concerning you be erased immediately in accordance with the law or, alternatively, that the processing of such data be limited in accordance with the law.
- Right to data transferability: You have the right to obtain, in accordance with the law, data concerning you that you have provided to us in a structured, common and machine-readable format or to request that it be transferred to another responsible party.
- Complaints to the supervisory authority: You also have the right, in accordance with the statutory provisions, to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
13. Amendment and updating of the data protection notice
We ask you to inform yourself regularly about the content of our data protection notice. We will adapt the data protection notice as soon as changes in the data processing we carry out make this necessary. We will inform you as soon as the changes make it necessary for you to cooperate (e.g. to give your consent) or any other individual notification.
If we provide addresses and contact information of companies and organizations in this data protection notice, please note that the addresses may change over time and please check the information before contacting us.
Munich, April 2022